Thursday, January 17, 2008

Oprah taking O-ver the world?

Oprah, Oprah, Oprah. Wow. With more star power than L Ron Hubbard, Winfrey has successfully branded herself everywhere with her show, her book club (funny story about that later), her magazine, and now she’s going to launch The Oprah Winfrey Network so fanatics can get their Oprah fix 24/7. “Fifteen years ago, I wrote in my journal that one day I would create a television network, as I always felt my show was just the beginning of what the future could hold,” Winfrey said in a statement, People magazine reported. “For me, the launch of The Oprah Winfrey Network is the evolution of the work I’ve been doing on television all these years and a natural extension of my show.” Oprah’s taking over the world. Oh yeah, and here’s that funny Oprah’s Book Club story. My friend Emer Schlosser from InsideEonline.com was interviewing Scottish funnyman Billy Connolly a couple years ago at TIFF and asked him what his favourite book was and he told a story that went something like this:

“I went to buy Anna Karenina. And I nearly didn’t buy it because I was so angry. It said choice of the Oprah Winfrey book club. Fuck you! You know? How dare you? He was dead before Oprah Winfrey was fucking born. How dare you say it’s the choice of Oprah Winfrey… I think there’s a terrible arrogance. How dare you springs to the lips all the time. What is she, a school teacher or something? Fuck you! Who do you think you are? WHO EXACTLY DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?”

Awesome, if I hadn’t liked Billy before, that cinched it!

No comments: