Friday, December 14, 2007

Shirley MacLaine concerned about fame-aholics

Drugs and alcohol have been common addictions for young celebs, but Shirley MacLaine recently discussed another, equally common but lesser publicized, addiction: fame. "I don't know what's going on, maybe lack of parenting skills and no boundaries. I think the addiction to fame is a disease. Some of these girls are addicted to having their picture in magazines," the actress was quoted by BreakingNews.ie as saying. “Once People magazine was published, I knew it would become a tabloid nation… Some of the most prominent girls call [the paparazzi] and say: 'I am going to be in Starbucks. Meet me there and I am going to act like I don’t want you there'. They don’t realize how serious the addiction to fame is. That’s a big deal. That didn’t happen when I was young. As far as the doping and booze is concerned, it’s way out of control now. It wasn’t like that when I was younger. I don’t know if it is the chicken or the egg, but they are acting as models for what Andy Warhol called 'famous for 15 minutes'. It is horrifying to watch - some have talent, some don't, some are famous for being famous.” Perhaps there should be a Fame-aholics Anonymous set up with 12 steps of it’s own. Step one: get over yourself!

No comments: